Re: Text-mode issues

On Tue, 20 May 2003, Benjamin Riefenstahl wrote:

> [snip]
> 3) The binary files in CVS are not marked as such (cvs admin -kb).
>    This is not only in the hw/xwin directory, but in the whole XFree
>    CVS.  In theory this is not only an issue on Windows but on Unix
>    also.  In practice, a regular CVS checkout is just broken on
>    Windows, unless you only use Cygwin's CVS tools with binary mounts.
>
> I'd like to help fixing those issues.  I have downloaded the CVS
> (although I will have to do it again with a binary mount) and after
> that I am going to start compiling, than doing the necessary code
> review and debugging.  If any of you have any input, I'd like to hear
> about it.
>
> The first thing for development is item 3), the CVS setup.  Has this
> ever been discussed?  Or is it just that nobody is aware of the
> problem yet?  I guess I'll need to post to devel@Xfree86.org about it,
> I just subscribed to that list.
>
> so long, benny

Benny,

FYI, binary files in CVS should be marked with -kb even if they are
extracted to binary mounts.  -kb only controls how the CVS keywords are
expanded, so that if a binary file happens to contain a string like
"$id$", it would not be expanded on checkout to something like
"$Id: file.bin YYYY/MM/DD HH:mm:ss name " (thus effectively corrupting the
binary).  If the binary files in the XFree86 tree aren't thus marked, it's
a bug waiting to happen.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/