RE: question about multiwindow mode and application icons

Howdy again,

---------- Original Message -------------
Subject: RE: question about multiwindow mode and application icons
From: "Ralf Habacker" <Ralf.Habacker@freenet.de>
..
But what about the taskbar and ALT-TAB window handling ? The win32 build in
handling of windows require a registered icon, which requires different
WindowClasses for each application.
Otherwise I have to do all stuff manual, which seems not so easy. :-)
-----------------------------------
Good point, I forgot. Under WinXP you get a message you can handle to
draw the icon in the task switcher, but under older OSs you're 100%
correct.

--------------------
From: "Ralf Habacker" <Ralf.Habacker@freenet.de>
Do you see a problem using different RegisterClass, which would make it very
simple (initialize icon and forget) ?
--------------------
Not under any modern OS.  Under Win95, 98, and ME, though, I believe
there is a limited number of window classes allowed because they
share a 16-bit context somewhere.  Under NT/2K/XP this restriction
shouldn't be there, each app has its own GDI and contexts...

You do NOT want to be running W98 on a machine that runs out of GDI
resources.  It's a neat effect as fonts start getting lost and window
borders disappear, until the whole thing blue screens.

--------------------
I'm very near at this goal. The only thing I'm missing is how to get a WMInfoPtr
and Window reference from the WindowPtr.  See the source below:
--------------------
I'm not too sure, but I sent a message earlier today with a
suggestion.   Does winGetWindowID(pWin) get a valid WindowID?
If so, then with a iWindow and Display* you should be able
to get the pWMInfo.  You may want to look at the X porting manual
to see if they give some hints in the callback sections of the
X servers.

If you can't get the info then and there, you should be able to
defer the processing until the WM_CREATE is called and then
just SetClassWord(newicon(XClass))?  You won't cause any visual
artifacts since the window isn't drawn until you get a WM_SHOW,
well after the WM_CREATE message.

--
-Earle F. Philhower, III
 earle@ziplabel.com