RE: question about multiwindow mode and application icons

Ralf Habacker wrote:

> thanks for providing this great work. I've got already the details of
> the win32
> icon format (see http://services.simac.be/vnc/single/msdn_icons.htm for more
> informations), but unfortunally I'm lost with the icon_pixmap format of the
> XSetWMHints call. I've found very much informations about pixmap in general in
> the internet, but are lost to retrieve a detailed specification of the this
> format.  Does anyone have a pointer for this ?

In the meantime I've got some more details on how this feature (displaying
different icons for x applications in the win32 window) could be implemented.
I'm going to use a three level icon display scheme, choosen by the informations
an x application will give.

1. An x-application provides an application icon through the WM_HINTS events,
which will be displayed as win32 window icon.

2. In case point 1. doesn't work, users can provide a special icon dll, loaded
at runtime into the server, which contains icons for specific applications like
other window manager does through special icon files (for example icewm).
Identifying the icons will be done through the application window title. There
are more than one icon dll setup through an environment variable possible, which
will be searched one by one. If no icon was found the xserver tries at last a
default icon dll for general x applications.

Current implementation status:

1. not working yet due to problems getting the WM_HINTS event

2. a working solution available (tested with some qt and kde applications)

open issues:

A. currently all win32 windows of the multi-window mode shares the same window
class, which means, that changing a single windows icon will change *all* icons.
As a hack I have implemented different window classes for each windows. This
isn't very good, because x applications uses an icon only for the main window,
which means that additional opened windows will display the default 'x' icon.
A better solution is to use one window class for all windows of one
application -> Unfortunally I don't know to implement this.

If this is usefull for the xfree server, please let me know, so that I can
prepare a patch.

Cheers

Ralf