Re: "no buffer space available" on Win2K

----- Original Message -----
From: "Harold L Hunt II" <huntharo@msu.edu>
To: <cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com>
Sent: Friday, May 02, 2003 12:46 PM

> > One slight difference: Only some apps would now give me the
> > "no buffer space available" error. startxwin.sh, for instance,
> > would simply report: "cannot connect to 127.0.0.1".
> > Again, the only remedy was to re-boot the OS.
> >

> When you say that you run startxwin.sh, does that mean that the previous
> instance of XWin.exe has exited?  Have you checked for XWin.exe in Task
> Manager?  You would need to be sure that all previous instances of
> XWin.exe have actually ended before you run startxwin.sh again.  Please
> tell me that you have never run startwin.sh multiple times in an attempt
> to get multiple desktops; I doubt you have, but just please tell me.

Yes, I always checked task manager before restarting.
There never was an XWin left, (I closed the grey X window before I checked).
However, there were still processes running, like wmaker or bash, which I
killed before re-starting.

I did this also because I was looking for processes to kill so
that I can get the TCP/IP resources back without having to reboot.

I have to add (for clarification) - that almost no TCP/IP related stuff
worked on the system afterwards. Most of the time I could only ping a dotted
address, but not a domain name, as this would require a DNS lookup.
There was no web browsing, ftp or telnet. Basically, only ping was left.
Occasionally, some web browsing could still be done, but re-starting XWin
then killed that off too (once the system had already gone through an X crash).

Karl