Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Server Test 79

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 06:39 pm, Pille Geert (bizvdm) wrote:
> Hallo Harold,
>
> You're sure that's a firewall you are behind?  I, eg., can't even get
> setup.exe, because it is ".exe".  As I said, I am very lucky the ".bz2"
> passes unnoticed (as long as < 2Mb).
>
> You wouldn't care to wrap setup.exe into a .bz2 and mail it to me?  I could
> still give it a try.
>
> Never mind, you'll still be asleep when I'm having my lunch at home, I'll
> get it there.
>
> Nice dreams,
>
> Gerard

Gerard, when most people refer to a firewall, they are thinking of a firewall
that keeps unwanted access from outside getting in.  This is often
(generally?) done with Network Address Translation.  Your situation is one of
the most extreme 'firewall' setups I have heard of.  Blocking .exe's from
emails is one thing (and quite sensible in the Windows world if you are
forced to run Outlook which seems to do the most it can to encourage viruses
to spread) but blocking the ability to download almost anything is (in my
experience) unusual.  How do you update Windows or get the latest Internet
Explorer update?

Anyway, have you tried getting Cygwin via Rsync?  It is possible that your
firewall does not block rsync traffic. (Or does it block almost everything?)
There is a bit of a catch 22 here, as you need Cygwin (or Linux / Unix) to
run rsync.

I will forward the setup.exe (bzip2ed) to you directly.  If you still find you
can't get things via setup (eg .tar.gz is blocked) then I can forward you
enough to get rsync working and you can try that.

Cheers,

Rasjid.