Porting an application to Cygwin Lesstif issues for a Newbie

Hello,

I'm trying to compile a set of open source software for processing sonar
data (MB-System) on cygwin.

The software comes with an install script that asks one to specify a few
directories for Lesstif/Motif.  On a RedHat Linux box, the lines would look
like this:

$MOTIFINCDIR = "/usr/X11R6/LessTif/Motif1.2/include";
$MOTIFLIBS = "-L/usr/X11R6/LessTif/Motif1.2/lib -lXm -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXt
-lX11";

I'm not at all knowledgeable regarding these details, but in trying to find
comparable places under cygwin I note the following:
1) There is no Motif1.2 dir under /usr/X11R6/LessTif, in fact, there is only
documentation there.
2) There's an "Install" file that reads, in part:

   On windows using Cygwin, U/WIN or Interix, LessTif must be built as
   static libraries.
   Because, one of the biggest issues with X on Win32 is the moronic DLL
   format. Specifically - it is not possible to export data from a Win32
   DLL in a form that can be used to statically initialize another global
   variable. Data access from a DLL requires at least one pointer
   indirection, and hence executable code. This is why X11R6 doesn't have
   DLLs for Xt/Xmu/Xaw (and Motif) on Win32

My Questions:

1) Does the text above imply, since the sonar processing software requires
Xt and X11R6 on Cygwin doesn't have a dll for it, that this software is
incompatible and not compilable?  Am I wasting my time?
2) If it's still possible to get this to work, would anyone have any idea,
based on the example for Linux, what to specify for Cygwin?

Thanks in advance,

-Val
Val Schmidt
Lamont Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University
61 Route 9W
Palisades, NY 10964
m: 614 286 3726