Re: (fwd) non us keyboards and cygwin xfree86

On Thursday 6 Feb 03, Alexander Gottwald writes:
> On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, J S wrote:
>
> > Hi Tom,
> >
> > I tried that but got:
> >
> > $ xkbcomp -xkm -m gb /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/keymap/xfree86
> > /etc/X11/xkb/keymap/gb
> > Error:            Include file wrong type (expected KeyNames, got Keymap)
> >                   Include file "xfree86" ignored
> >                   Abandoning keycodes file "gb"
>
> Why are still people working with this way? The keyboard is configurable
> in the config file /etc/X11/XF86Config. A sample config file can be found
> at http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~goal/xfree/XF86Config-4.bz2

But how do we use /etc/X11/XF86Config?  I don't have one there
already.  I downloaded your sample, but there was a lot of other stuff
besides the keyboard options.  Is there a trick to getting it to work?
I tried deleting everything in your sample except:

Section "InputDevice"
    Option "XkbRules"	"xfree86"
    Option "XkbModel"	"pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout"	"gb"
EndSection

(I'm trying to use a UK keyboard layout.)  Did I delete too much?

Note the FAQ (4.5) talks about this, but doesn't say anything about
XF86Config.  I also have no XF86Config man page.  I use
/usr/X11R6/bin/startx to start X.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
David