Re: Pre-Installation Questions.

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 10:20:46PM -0600, Magus wrote:
>How do I know I've got all of the correct versions of the requirements:
>bzip2, jpeg, libpng2, libxml2, libxslt, openssl, pcre, and zlib?  I
>installed all of Cygwin and my "startx -v" says it's XFree86
>4.2.0(165).  I'm running on Windows 98 SE.  I've downloaded all the
>manual files and put them in a directory convenient to the download.  I
>do not understand the line "tar -xjf /.tar.bz2".  Does this mean that
>the "local dir" mentioned on the Manual Installation page should be the
>Cygwin root e.g.  "C:\cygwin" or "/" or is it some other directory?
>
>Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Go to the cygwin web site and click on the "Install Cygwin Now!" link.
*That* is how you install cygwin.  There is no need to download and
install things by hand.

Select the packages you need from the "Select Packages" screen by
clicking on the "+" to expand the categories.

This is how you ensure that you have the latest version of everything.
setup.exe (the program you download when you click on Install Cygwin
Now!) does it for you automatically.

cgf
--
Please use the resources at cygwin.com rather than sending personal email.