./configure trouble with X

In everything I've tried to install that needs X - like gnuplot and TeXmacs, I can't get past a problem with ./configure. Every time I run the script, I get this error after some regular-looking output:

checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for working const... yes
checking for inline... inline
checking for preprocessor stringizing operator... yes
checking if compiler handles warn and error directives correctly... yes
checking for X... eval: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

I've tried hacking open the scripts and so forth, to no avail. I looks like an interpreter problem, but hell if I know what it means. X works fine under my cygwin install, but I can't compile anything for it!

I have the x headers installed and so on...

Any help would be appreciated!

Jason