Re: xwinclip test 6 hacked to leave selection untouched

Robert,

First, this might be really cool. I had code in xwinclip a long time ago that watched the Windows clipboard and did almost exactly the same thing that you have done... except that our processing of Windows messages was not yet correct so xwinclip ended up hanging when its message queue overflowed. Now that the message processing is fixed this new patch should work well.

I won't have a chance to test this until tonight or later.

One side note though... please do not call your xwinclip releases test7, or test8, etc. as this will create a great amount of confusion when trying to determine if a user has a problem with an official release or an independent developer's release. Call them something like xwincip-robf1.tgz.

Thanks for the patch,

Harold

Robert Fenk wrote:

Hi,

I found it quite annoying that xwinclip-test6 was grabbing
the ownership of the selection every-time it looses it while
IMHO it should just grab it when there is a new selection in
the MS-Windows clipboard. Grabbing means the original
application is loosing it and with xterm and xemacs it means
that the selection is really lost, dehighlighted and not
available anymore.

So I did some googling how to detect clipboard changes on
MS-Windows and added the code for this to wndproc.c and
modified xevents.c to just grab the selection if a
MS-Windows clipboard change is detected which is not caused
by xwinclip itself (this part is really a hack).
The code might be helpful for those working on improved xwinclip
versions, but I do not have any intention on more hacking.
I actually have no idea about MS-Windows API and X11 so
there are probably new bugs ...

http://www.robf.de/Hacking/xwinclip-test7.tgz

Bye Robert

PS: I have not subscribed to this list so you should address
questions with a CC to me.