Re: XWin.exe crashes

At 09:46 PM 11/3/02 +0100, Sven Köhler wrote:
I just installed KDE-cygwin, and I haven't gotten it start properly.
Based on the errors I'm getting and the FAQs I've read, the suggestion
was to make sure the paths are mounted in binmode, which involves
changing a registry key. Since I'd prefer not to do that, will this
patch work for me as well?
you can use setup.exe to change back from textmode to binmode, but the problem is, that most of the programs won't be abled to read the text-files they've writte in textmode.
How would I do this with setup? Which option is this, and do I have to reinstall everything (i.e. Cygwin, XFree86, individual packages, etc)?

Christopher Faylor always suggests linking with binmode.o - and i would recomm that too, for the KDE-cygwin project. i don't know, why they don't do it - perhaps because binmode.o is too unknown yet.

but to request, that the user runs cygwin in binmode is not always possible, because migrating back from text- to binmode takes much time (you have to convert every text-file)
Once it's been switched back to binmode, would files written after that be in binmode as well? Or would I continue to have a conflict?

TIA,

-Lisi