Re: how does xwin resolve ip addresses

Chris Twiner wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have a problem using a wireless card (3com) on my home network.  I have a
> basic wireless setup and a switched setup (for my servers).  When using the
> wireless card I can use the internet fully and most applications are happy
> with it.  Bizarly though ipconfig /all doesn't list the wireless card as an
> ip adapter.

I have build a small test program, which extracts the network interface
adapters from the system. Please try it and mail the result. It will help
me figuring out the problems.
http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~goal/xfree/ls_netdev.tar.gz
(http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~goal/index.php3?jump=xfree#ls_netdev)

> When trying to use cygwin/xfree on the address (given by dhcp) the xserver
> doesn't work i.e. no clients can bind to it.  Is the discovery mechanism for
> the ip address using the same as ipconfig does and hence can't see it?

I don't know which API ipconfig is using but I think it's the same interface
as the cygwin.dll uses. If it's not listed it might have various reasons:
- ipconfig does not know what a wireless lan is and does not display it
- MS has build a new API for listing wireless lan interfaces
- Something is really broken
- and many more

The output of ls_netdev will hopefully gie me more hints.

bye
    ago

NP: grauzone.02-09-23
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723