From: cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com]On
Behalf Of Randall R Schulz
Sent: Friday, October 25, 2002 1:45 PM
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: No Taskbar Icon (Was: Re: -Rootless AND -NoDecoration)

Harold,

At 10:24 2002-10-25, you wrote:

Randall,

No, there is no such combination of flags.

How do you intend to set the focus to Cygwin/XFree86 without a taskbar
entry? I mean, you could minimize it and not be able to get it back.

Without a taskbar icon, I don't know how XWin could get minimized. Would
"ALT-SPACE N" while the X server "layer" (as I think of it in "-rootless"
mode) was active do it?

Also, the Windows SETI@home GUI shows that a window with no taskbar icon
can still show up in the ALT-TAB list of icons.

In the future, when we write the Windows-based window manager, I intend to
make Cygwin/XFree86 use a system tray icon rather than a taskbar icon, but
only when using the Windows-based window manager.

That would be nice, but I'd still like to avoid the taskbar icon even when
I'm using an X-based window manager.

Now, from the perspective of building a correct application, can't you see
that it would be incredibly non-standard of us to allow Cygwin/XFree86 to
not have a taskbar icon? No other Windows application that needs to be
minimized/restored/closed has that behavior. Typically, only applications
that are either closed or open are in the system tray. Can you see my
point? I suppose you could code such a feature if you wanted that did not
change the default behavior, but I'm not sure how much use it would be to
others...

Not at all. There are applications that show windows without taskbar icons
when the application writer deemed it appropriate. Since the Windows API
makes it possible, it was clearly seen as a viable option that might be
desirable in some contexts.

Perhaps others could weigh in on whether they'd like to have the option to
avoid a taskbar icon?

Harold

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

Randall R Schulz wrote:

Hi,

Please forgive my creative capitalization in the Subject line.

I had hoped that using "-nodecoration" with "-rootless" would prevent the
XWin server getting a taskbar icon, but alas, no.

Is there a combination of options or a configuration file or environment
setting that will suppress the taskbar icon in rootless mode?

Oh, yeah... Rootless Rocks!

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA