Re: -Rootless AND -NoDecoration

Randall,

No, there is no such combination of flags.

How do you intend to set the focus to Cygwin/XFree86 without a taskbar entry? I mean, you could minimize it and not be able to get it back.

In the future, when we write the Windows-based window manager, I intend to make Cygwin/XFree86 use a system tray icon rather than a taskbar icon, but only when using the Windows-based window manager.

Now, from the perspective of building a correct application, can't you see that it would be incredibly non-standard of us to allow Cygwin/XFree86 to not have a taskbar icon? No other Windows application that needs to be minimized/restored/closed has that behavior. Typically, only applications that are either closed or open are in the system tray. Can you see my point? I suppose you could code such a feature if you wanted that did not change the default behavior, but I'm not sure how much use it would be to others...

Harold

Randall R Schulz wrote:

Hi,

Please forgive my creative capitalization in the Subject line.

I had hoped that using "-nodecoration" with "-rootless" would prevent the XWin server getting a taskbar icon, but alas, no.

Is there a combination of options or a configuration file or environment setting that will suppress the taskbar icon in rootless mode?

Oh, yeah... Rootless Rocks!

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA