Re: Rootless mode revisited...

Thomas,

What CVS tree did you pull this from? Why isn't MATSUZAKI working with us? If I recall correctly, he wrote the Unicode support for xwinclip, right?

Harold

Thomas Chadwick wrote:

I tried out this patch (took a few days because I needed to get xfree86 out of CVS and build it). Very cool. Thanks a bunch to MATSUZAKI for coding it! You saved me a lot of work.

Here's a screenshot...

http://home.adelphia.net/~tlcweb/cygwin/pseudo_rootless_screenshot.gif

Notice that you can see IE in the background along with some Windows desktop icons down the left side of the screen. The windows in the forground are Xclients (namely xterm, xclock, and xeyes). The icon in the lower left is an iconified Xclient.

However, I noticed a few strange artifacts of this approach to rootless mode...

1) When you click and drag on an Xwindow to move it, you only see the bits and pieces of the "rubber band" outline which happen to overlap the other Xwindows. Where the rubber band overlaps Windows windows, you see nothing.

2) Now that there is no root window, you can't use the XWindows window manager's root-window menus.

3) A favorite tool of mine, x2x, is broken, which is due to the lack of a root window causing the mouse focus to jump back and forth XWindows and Windows.

Still, if anyone wants to try it out, here's a binary that I built last night from source I pulled from CVS yesterday...

http://home.adelphia.net/~tlcweb/cygwin/XWin.exe