Re: Trying to build graphical applications for Cygwin - Please help

Bob,

bob.cavanaugh@flextronicssemi.com wrote:
Hello all,
First of all, I apologize for the length of this post. I have done a lot of
reading, downloading, and building and I am stuck. I am somewhat new to using
Cygwin but I have been an embedded systems engineer for 15 years so I am not new
to computers.

I am trying to get the following packages to run on my Cygwin/XFree86:
1) Eterm-0.9.1 - an enhanced terminal program that allows backgrounds
2) gpsim-0.20.14 - a Microchip PIC simulation package

Trying to build Eterm, it requires imlib. I downloaded imlib- 2.1.06. The
configure fails, looking for shmat().  I sent a message to the cygwin list, and
received a reply from J. Larsen directing me to load Cygipc, which I did. This
time the configure fails looking for XShmAttach().

Yes, you did need CygIPC. However, you now either have to rebuild XFree86 with the X Shared Memory Extension or you have to install the few files thare changed when XSHM is enabled. The KDE on Cygwin project distributes these changed files and they have instructions on how to install them. You need the KDE-X package from the way bottom of this page:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=27249**

To build gpsim, I need glib and GTK+, pkg-config, and gtk+extra-0.99.17
I tried building the lastest versions of glib and GTK, 2.0.6, with no luck. I
backed up to the 1.2.8 version, and that builds, but the built version fails the
testglib.exe file, seg faults on string test.
I went to the maillist, and downloaded Lupo's glib 1.2.10 and GTK+1.2.10.
Tried to build gtk+extra, and during the configure stage, a Windows messagebox
comes up and says that I am missing "shmat" for X11.  Configure completed but
said I have an invalid version of GTK+.

The KDE on Cygwin folks have the answer for undefined references to shmat:

http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/faq/kde2.php#D6

OK, several things may be going on. I think I am having the same problem with
both builds.

1. I am running Cygipc as a service on Win2K. Do I need to do something else,
like re-build XFree86? Is there a site with instructions?
Yes, you could rebuild Cygwin/XFree86 with shared memory support, but I recommend just installing the KDE on Cygwin package that provides the modified files.

2. What else is required to get imlib and GTK+ to work correctly? Has anybody
been able to do so, or am I trying to do something Cygwin cannot perform?
Not sure. I am pretty sure that imlib and GTK+ both work but that they have to be static libraries, to a degree. At least, there was not an optimal solution for building GTK+ with a shared library the last time I checked into it.

3. I saw one post which indicated a problem with FAT-32. Is NTFS a requirement
to run Cygwin/XFree86 on Win2K?

No problems with FAT32.  Don't believe everything that you read.

I don't want to waste anybody's time, but I would really appreciate any help
offered. I know that eveybody's time is valuable (I promised a patch to the
WxWindows group over a month ago I haven't gotten to yet :-(  ), but getting
gpsim is a fairly high priority for me.

Hope that helps.

Harold

P.S. I am cheering for Solectron, booh Flextronics  :)  Just kidding.

Thanks to all in advance

Robert Cavanaugh
Senior Firmware Engineer
Flextronics Design