Re: Remote sessions with HP UX CDE ?

Mr. Fox,

What limitation are you speaking of? I wrote the 8bpp code, so I can assure you that there is no such limitation. Perhaps you were saying that Cygwin/XFree86 cannot connect to HP UX's CDE when running in 8bpp --- I would certainly believe that, but I have not heard that from other users yet.

If you haven't tried 8bpp in awhile, try it. It has worked fine for months now. The only remaining problem is that we cannot support 8bpp visuals when the root visual is >8bpp; for example, we can't allow you to run your desktop in 16bpp and still display a given CAD program on an 8bpp visual (seems CAD programs love to use 8bpp). Other than that we are pretty much feature complete in the 8bpp department.

Harold

Papa Fox wrote:
Hi,

Cygwin XFree has a limitation - it doesn't work with 8bpp screens. You need to change your screen settings to at least 16bpp.

To change you color depth:

Right click on the desktop, select 'Properties'; select the 'Settings' tab; change the 'Color Quality' setting to either 'High (24 bits)' or 'Highest (32 bits)'. Warning: check that selecting a higher color depth doesn't cause Windows to reduce you screen resolution. Check that the 'Screen Resolution' value has not changed. Click OK.

regards
Papa Fox