Re: X client wrapper for Win apps?

Stuart Adamson wrote:

I agree, we should hook user32.dll.
I have some code that does the following:
1) Uses Windows Hooks (designed for Computer-Based Training etc) to get loaded
into program as soon as the program creates a window, then calls 2)
2) Updates the address table to redirect certain functions from desired dlls
Basically we want to replace 1) with a program that loads the program and then does 2)
This would then be "wrapX11"
This way we don't have to rename user32.dll to user32-real.dll and replace it with our own,
we just add user32-X11.dll in and make it replace certain functions.

Sounds better.
* Would not require a reboot to install / test
* Is less likely to break when a service pack upgrades user32.dll

Also, doesn't give hassles with Windows File Protection under 2000+ (even
though that can be disabled).
As far as I can see, at the moment we just need a simple way to get development
going, and the development should be done in such a way that later on it'll be
easy to rearrange the code.
So we could use this approach and then if later we want to actually
replace user32.dll or do something like that we could.
Also, if we have a structure in place, even if it only translates a simple program
we can then bring in code from wine etc and see how easy it would be to merge it
in.
I've got a simple hello world done in the Win32 API which could be a first goal.
Then we could do enough to run notepad and solitaire...