xcb port to Cygwin; questions about packaging

xcb
---

xcb gives GUI access to all the X cut buffers.  I also find it useful to
copy and paste between applications that `resist' the normal X11
selection and middle mouse pasting.

On Monday, I compiled up xcb 2.3 for Cygwin.  I've popped it onto my web
page at http://members.optushome.com.au/lukekendall/useful/xcb.zip
along with the man page and the original README file.

I had to explicitly add $(XPMLIB) to the link line for xcb.exe in the
Makefile constructed via xmkmf. I don't know enough about xmkmf to
diagnose what actually went wrong.  :-(

I just found a good page on xcb here, if you want much better informat
ion about it: http://www.goof.com/pcg/marc/xcb.html

(I should probably build that internationalised version, instead, actually.
Anyway, I've Bcc-ed the current maintainer this email too. Bcc so he
should be safe from spamming eyes.)

Packaging
---------

BTW, http://www.cygwin.com/setup.html, but doesn't describe how to
determine package names for the "required:" line when you're trying t o
do the right thing and package stuff up for inclusion in Cygwin. (E.g.
is X's package name "X" or "X11" or "XFree86"; what about normal system
dependencies like cygwin.dll - what is their package name; etc.
How do you find out?)

I gather that since I had to kludge a fix, and since it is built by
xmkmf; make rathern than by ./configure; make, and even then needed
a fiddle, the only way to construct the necessary setup files for xcb
for Cygwin would be via a hand-written shell script to run xmkmf then
apply my kludge, which doesn't sound like an elegant solution!

BTW, is it possible to run some utility that would automatically tell
you what packages a utility depended on?  How accurate do the package
names have to be?  Are they used in some automated process, or are they
just rough guides for humans to see?

I'm hoping that, like Window Maker, xcb will be found to be so useful
that someone else will add it in as part of the XFree86 stuff for
Cygwin.

Window Maker news

Oh, I also patched and built Window Maker 0.80.1 (the latest release),
and submitted my patches back to the WM developers, and they've been
included.  So, future builds of WM should be as simple as running
./configure; make; make install.  (Then each user runs wmaker.inst in
the usual way from a shell prompt to create the necessary files in their
home directory.)

luke