Re: X client wrapper for Win apps?

David Fraser was recently quoted as saying...
> I've discovered that rather than using -fullscreen, if you simply use
> -nodecoration
> and set the X server to run at the same size as fullscreen, it doesn't
> minimize when
> you switch tasks, but still stays the same size as the full screen in
> the background.
> The advantage being you can still see it behind your other apps (if
> they're not maximized),
> although they're still not actually inside X windows.

Yeah... but unless you only use alt-tab to switch apps, you have to
minimize the X server periodically to see the minimized app icons (which
are ugly as sin in Win95+, but that's another matter)

> Could we modify them to send messages between them for certain desktops?

Doubtful.

> So say you have Ctrl-F1, Ctrl-F2 switching to Linux Desktop 1 and 2, then
> Ctrl-F3, Ctrl-F4 switch back to the Windows one and tell it to activate
> a certain
> desktop. That way we'd be writing glue code rather than a whole new system.

Well, I use directional window-switching keystrokes. The JSPager set uses
Ctrl-Up,Ctrl-Down, etc, and my FvwmPager set uses Alt-Up, Alt-Down, etc.

> >This is, I realize, all probably very unrealistic dreaming, but any leads
> >or tips are welcome.

Sounds like if Wine emulates a Win32 environment and then converts Win32
apps to X windows, the problem is partly solved there. But AFAIK Wine
doesn't have a multi-window mode, you get one X window which contains a
Windows desktop *within* which normal GDI windows run. Is that right or
has that changed?

Keith D. Tyler                                keith@keithtyler.com
Federal Way, WA                          http://www.keithtyler.com
 Terrorists can attack freedom, but only Congress can destroy it.