Re: client runtime packaging request

--- Joe Buehler <jbuehler@hekimian.com> wrote:
> I recently ported GNU emacs to Cygwin.  It would help reduce the
> disk space requirements if some refinement was done on the xfree
> packaging.
>
> The particular thing that is immediately obvious is that the dll's
> that
> emacs requires are in the XFree86-bin package, along with a *lot*
> of other stuff that emacs does not require.
>
> A base runtime package that contains only those things that an X11
> client
> needs would be mighty nice.  Config files, fonts, dll's, etc.

Well tell your emacs people that they'll just have to download the
same way we all do.  If they want a pretty package, they can use
Xemacs.  Is the install really that big for emacs people?  After all,
if you want simplicity, use vi.  It only requires terminfo, ash, and
the cygwin.dll.  The point is that this has been discussed to death
and it was decided [not by me] that oficially nothing different will
be done at this time.  You are welcome to host your own web page with
a custom install, though.

Cheers,
Nicholas