Re: Java in Windows on X

--- Brian Genisio <BrianGenisio@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Benjamin Riefenstahl wrote:
> > Hi Stuart,

> app
> >>>

> > A quick web search on "Java", "X11" points me to
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/escher/ .  Sounds interesting.
> >

> > so long, benny
> >

> Yeah, that does sound interesting... It looks more like a Java
> interface
> to the X libraries.  I can see how this would be extremely useful.
>
> Unfortunately, what I am looking for (just peeking for time being),
> is
> the existence of  a VM that supports this functionality, like the
> *nix
> versions do.  It would be neat to run the java VM with a flag that
> used
> the X protocol instead.
>
> Want in one hand, and shit in annother... see which fills up
> quicker.

Well, I can't make any promises, but I've been kicking around the
notion of porting the Sun Community Sources version of java to
Cygwin/XFree.  Currently, my first hurdle is to get OpenMOTIF fully
ported, as the jdk won't compile with lesstif.  There are some
licensing issues regarding that, but I really don't give a damn what
the Open Group says.  So, once that's done, then comes the hard part.
 We'll see how far along cygwin's threading capabilities are, as that
is probably the most worrisome aspect.  Currently, there has been
much work done in progressing sysV IPC, so when the time comes it
should be ready to roll.  Hopefully I can get a useful vm out of it,
but it's really just for fun.  Anyhow, swing and awt support is just
plain dreadful, if not non-existent, in the various gpl'd vms.  So, I
don't need to be reminded about them, because they are frankly
useless.  Since I'm not about to write the X11 interface from the
ground up, I figure this would be the best bet.  Besides, who knows,
if this is successful I might submit my build to Sun and see if
they'll allow redistribution.

Cheers,
Nicholas