Re: problems with xfree

Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 04:47:39PM -0400, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

Let me see if I understand what is going on here:

We are debeating whether to:

1) Modify /etc/profile, which is not installed via a package, but is created directly by setup.exe.

2) Add two scripts, one for bash-style shells and one for c-shell-style shells to /etc/profile.d/. These scripts are processed by /etc/profile. We would add this new scripts to an XFree86 package, probably XFree86-bin, and we would install these scripts via a post-install script if they were not already present (so we do not overwrite modifications).

Of all the arguments for/against the two methods, so far only one seems to be a sticking point that essentially decides how we will do this:

There is no guarantee that the sub-script in /etc/profile.d/ that adds /usr/X11R6/bin to the path will be executed before some other shell script, that may be added at a later date to /etc/profile.d/, that requires that the path to the X11R6 binaries already be set. In order to allow other scripts in /etc/profile.d/ to assume that the path to the X11R6 binaries is known, we must set the path to the binaries in /etc/profile before the /etc/profile.d/ scripts are processed.

I don't know what this "other" script in /etc/profile.d might be, but
if it is a problem for the "other" script, it could easily include
/etc/profile.d/add_x11_path (or whatever) to add the script to ensure
that the path was properly set.

So, I think that adding an appropriate file to /etc/profile.d makes
more sense.  Then people who don't have /usr/bin/X11R6 don't have
a spurious check for the directory in their /etc/profile.

cgf
That sounds even more reasonable. No one has suggested that yet.

One question though... are there any known packages that put a script in /etc/profile.d/ that expect the path to the X11R6 binaries to already be set, but that do not include some X11R6 path-setting script? We would have to modify any such scripts, if we ever encounter them, to include our X11R6 path-setting script. That doesn't seem like a horrible trade-off.

Okay, go with the new scripts in /etc/profile.d/.

Jehan - you sent in these scripts before, right? Could you send them again? Thanks.