Re: New xlauncher (was: Re: Success with Java prog in XFree)

--- Rasjid Wilcox <rasjidw@openminddev.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 12:08 am, Ralf Habacker wrote:
> > > This is a great idea. I was thinking of using a language/toolkit
> that I
> > > could compile on my Linux box, as it it my main development machine.
> > > Delphi isn't too bad, as it (sort of) works under wine. The only
> problem
> > > was the compiled code didn't run under wine very well. It would be
> cool
> > > to be able to use it under linux/unix (hadn't thought of XNest
> though).
> >
> > What about qt ? It is available for windows and for unix/linux.
>
> Just been to the TrollTech website.  The windows version of Qt is not
> fully
> GPL compatible.  See
> http://www.trolltech.com/developer/download/qt-win-noncomm.html.
>
> Based on my interpretation of this discussion, I would say that that
> would
> rule out any xlauncher made with Qt for Windows from being distributed
> by
> setup.exe.  The site also states that it requires MS Visual Studio v6,
> although my guess is that it could be used with gcc, but would probably
> take
> more work.
>
> OTOH, wxWindows (http://www.wxwindows.org) is fully GPL compatible.  And
> for
> those of us that are not C or C++ experts, there is wxPython
> (http://www.wxpython.org) with an open-source IDE
> (http://boa-constructor.sourceforge.net/) which is suprisingly useable
> despite the version number (0.1) - although I'd suggest the CVS version.
>
> Rasjid.

The last time I checked, building wxWindows import libs was a PITA because
their configure script has literally 100+ flags.  Why can't they just have
--enable-max like apache where it builds everthing that is supported by
your platform.

Cheers,
Nicholas