From: Rex Kidwell [mailto:rex.kidwell@attglobal.net]
Sent: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 9:53 PM
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: Local xterm x-client won't display/start

Sorry if this is ends being the UID/GID, USER/HOME directory, or font
problem.

I have successfully installed cygwin/xfree86 4.2.0.1 with cygwin 1.3.11-3.

I can run XWin, twm, and the local xclock (xclock -d -update 1) x-client on
a NT 4.0 SP6 system.

When I attempt to run a xterm I get the outline to place it in the window
manager but when I release the left mouse button nothing gets displayed.
There isn't anything listed in the /tmp/Xwin.log as far as errors (as far as
I can tell).  I can start/run/display a xterm from a remote RedHat 7.2
system by setting my DISPLAY environment variable to the local XWin/twm
X-server.  When I attempt to start a local xterm using the left mouse button
pop-up menu I get a small icon in the upper left hand corner of the window
manager and something really small under the mouse pointer but nothing is
displayed when I release the mouse button.  The installation was performed
using the UNIX file option.

I don't know if this is associated with the above problem but I also have an
AIX xterm x-client problem.  I can start/run/display an AIX 4.3.3 xterm on
xwin/twm but it doesn't echo/display any key strokes.  I can hit the control
key and the left mouse button to get to the pop-up window and quit/exit the
xterm but other keys don't seem to do anything.

I didn't see anything related to this problem in the FAQs that I found.

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Rex