RE: How to start messing around with creating a rootless mode...

Stuart,

> > But on the overall, I don't think it's really the way to go. Again, I
> > don't known much about X so it may not be reasonable but what about
> > creating a Windows window for each X window? This would allow
> each X App
> >  to appear in the taskbar like any Windows application.
>
> This is how eXceed works and it makes more sense to me.  When I'm working
> in rootless mode - typically I won't be running a window manager.

Right.  That is exactly why I described the method of getting started as I
did: because everything you do for drawing in rootless mode will still be
needed when you are drawing to individual windows.

Say what?  That's right, you're still going to have to have a method of
drawing the root window as transparent and setting the clipping region of
the root window to nothing when the server looses the focus.

Once you've got it so that twm can draw windows that "float" above the
Windows desktop, then you can start worrying about holding hwnd's to
individual windows, etc.