KDE (or gnome)

Greetings everyone!
I just got cygwin installed as a precursor to installing RH Linux on a
dedicated PC later. I figured this might be a good Linux learning
experience. It's up and running, but I've hit a small roadblock I could
use some help with.
I have X86Free running (which frankly considering my newbie status I'm
amazed by, but that's another story) however, I just have a clock and a
couple of terminal windows...in other words what /~xinitrc specifies.
To gain a better understanding of the desktop (as opposed to the only
thing I've known in the past which is a CLI environment, I thought I'd
like to get either KDE or Gnome up and running. I've seen them run on
other folks' machines and it looks interesting.
However....(and there's always a however) I don't see either of these
packages as part of cygwin, yet the archives contain references to both.
Can I grab an RPM (does cygwin support rpm's?) and just install it
irrespective of the Win32 environment running "beneath" XFree and Cygwin
itself? IS there a KDE or Gnome (or even enlightenment perhaps) package
available for cygwin?
I've done a couple of hours reading (which spared some newbie "please help
me" posts earlier on) but this one eludes me completely.
Can anyone point me at what I should be reading, or else can anyone answer
the three questions above?
Thanks & TIA
-Splat