RE: xfree impossibly slow with hummingbird socks installed

Mike,

Cygwin and Cygwin/XFree86 use tcp/ip sockets extensively.  Therefore, it
makes perfect sense that any additional overhead in the sockets layer would
show a large effect on the performance of Cygwin/XFree86.  I have no
experience with Hummingbird's SOCKS package, but from the nature of what the
package does (it is essentially a firewall product) I can guess that it
would slow down the responsiveness of tcp/ip sockets significantly.

Prognosis: don't install Hummingbird's SOCKS :)

Harold