From: Christopher Faylor [mailto:cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com]
Sent: Monday, April 08, 2002 5:43 PM
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Cc: KGreen@ida.org
Subject: Re: info: single install xfree86 + minimal cygwin?

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 04:02:06PM -0400, Green, Keith wrote:
>However, we would prefer to give customers an environment they could
>use for this.  Some months ago I downloaded cygwin/xfree86 onto my
>system (with some help) and installed it on my pc.  It appears to
>support everything we want to do.  Unfortunately, the entire thing
>seems pretty large.  I note that we don't really need cygwin, per se,
>except that xfree86 seems to require it as an API.
>
>Is a single install package for cygwin/xfree86 in which the cygwin has
>been scaled-down (without the games, man pages, extraneous - for our
>needs - libraries, plethora of great unix commands)?

The base cygwin install provides, er, a base cygwin install.  That's the
default for the Cygwin installation.  There is currently no XFree86
package in the cygwin installation at all.

>I've been browsing the mail archives for this list.  I don't entirely
>understand everything I'm reading, but it sounds like there is
>somewhere a single installation for cygwin and xfree86, although it
>doesn't sound scaled back.

Not that I'm aware of.  It's been a goal but movement on it is pretty
slow.

I would love for someone to post a proposal for inclusion of a XFree86
package to the cygwin-apps mailing list using the guidelines at
http://cygwin.com/setup.html but so far no one has been willing to do
that.

Once that happened, then you'd be able to just install XFree86 via the
standard cygwin installation.

cgf