Problem with Solaris

I'm trying to get cygwin/xfree working using XDMCP from Solaris (on sparc),
but all I get is a black screen with an egg-timer.

It works fine using XDMCP from a Linux host.

Using X-Win32 on the same PC works fine to Linux AND Solaris.

Under X-Win32, when I first connect I get the black egg-timer window, then
almost immediately I get the CDE login prompt.
Under cygwin/xfree, I get the black egg timer, but no prompt.  The egg-timer
follows my mouse around, so there is obviously some X stuff going on, but
not quite enough.

Any ideas ?????

Thanks
Stuart