RE: missing telnet, solution

Phil,

You are referring to the process of "installing that which you wish to use".
I don't see any problem here.

I can't update the User's Guide to say "install inetutils and ssh" because
Cygwin is always changes its mind about which packages to include in the
default installation (they dropped bzip2 awhile back) and I don't have the
time to follow their changes and continue to make updates accordingly.
Also, the user interface to the Cygwin installer keeps changing, so I don't
want to have to rewrite the instructions every time that happens.

Note that Cygwin/XFree86 works just fine without inetutils and ssh, so
plenty of users out there will not need inetutils and ssh.

I will perhaps add a note that extra Cygwin packages may be selected and
installed by the user.  That should at least get people to look at the list
of packages that they might want.

Harold