Installation on CD-Rom, Copying a whole installation

Hello,

I am using the geometry-software "kseg" (www.mit.edu/~ibaran) at school,
where it is installed on a solaris-system.

Unfortunately, most of my students do not have linux on their computer at
home, only windows. So I tried to compile kseg on cygwin, and it worked fine
(for those interested, see below). Now the problem is, that the
installation-process is not so easy for people who are used to self-starting
installation-cds only (which is the case for most pupils, I am sorry to say).
So my questions are:

- is it possible to install cygwin/xfree on CD-rom and run it from CD-rom
without installing it? (I guess not, probably some directorys must be
writable)
- is it possible just to copy a whole cygwin-installation to CD-rom and copy
it back to a local directory on a different computer? Of course, I have
already tried so, and it did not work (startxwin.bat started, it ended with
"could not connect to x-server..."), but maybe the only problem with this
was, that I have installed cygwin on Drive E, while most people will copy it
back to Drive C
- if all this is not possible, is there anybody out there who has written a
nice installation-skript that installs xfree after cygwin is installed (this
should not be too difficult for the average pupil) and can be edited to
install some software too? If not, I will probably try to write one myself,
but of course Iīm not interested in reinventing the wheel...

Best regards, Andreas

For those interested, steps nessecary to install kseg on cygwin/xfree:

- Install cygwin as described in manual, donīt forget libjpg, libpng, gcc and
make
- Install xfree as described in manual
- Install qt 2.? from kde on cygwin-project as described in readme
- edit profile (or whatever you use to configure your environment) and extend
path to qt-binary directory and (this is not described in readme) set QTDIR
(for instance QTDIR = /usr/local/lib/qt2, export QTDIR)
- extending LD_LIBRARY_PATH seems not to be necessary, as QT-dlls are in the
QT-bin-directory
- download and extract kseg, edit makefile and replace gcc with g++
- type make, It should compile
- If you want, you can copy the binary "kseg" to a directory in your path