x -query problems after update to xfree86 4.2

I have upgraded my Linux box to XFree86 4.2.. and now when I try to connect
to it from cygwin, on a NT 4.o box.. it will not connect....
here is the command I am using...
/usr/X11R6/bin/X -query hostnameOfLinuxbox(..or IP)
This just gives me the x window(black/white checkerd... but no log-in like
it use to.
I just upgraded to Xfree 4.2 on the Linux box(SuSE 7.3)
and first though this might be where the problme was.. but I if I go to
another Linux box ..(both other SuSE & other Linux Distros..Red Hat..)..
that has not had the X server upgraded.. I can still log into the SuSE Box..
and bring up the X desktop(KDE)...(the whole desktop... not just an app)
I have sence upgraded my cygwin & Xfree86 on my windows to the current
releses.
I can run the startxwin.bat fine.. and then ssh in to the Linux box.. and
bring up an application fine..
I can do the X -query in to a none upgraded SuSE box from cygwin
I can do the X -query in to a upgraded SuSE boxe from a non-upgraded SuSE
7.3 and Red Hat 7.2 box
So this leaves me kind of stuck... I am wondering if their has been a but
reported between xfree86 4.1 & 4.2 /cygwin and xfree86 4.2 /linux..
anyone have any ideas...
I am getting this on the upgraded SuSE box...
/var/log/warn
kdm[1149]: Abnormal helper termination, code 1, signal 0
kdm[1149]: fatal IO error 32 (broken pipe)
.. I dont see any error on the cygwin side....though I'm not real sure where
to look either...