Re: xterm Xt error

> Hi,
>     I'm installing cygwin/xfree. when i telnet from
> windows machine to linux machine then do
> "DISPLAY=192.168.1.26:0.0" and then do "export
> DISPLAY"
> and then do "xterm &" but when i do "xterm &" command
> i get this error:" xterm Xt error: Can't open display:
> 192.168.1.26:0.0 "
>
> PS: I can ping from windows machine to linux machine
> or viceversa.
> 192.168.1.26=IP for windows machine
>
> what can i do with this problem?
>
> Thanks
> payam
Hi,
I think you forgot to authorize your client to connect to your X server:

    - either with xhost
    - either with xauth.

1) xhost is unsecure because is only based on host name : simple way is
xhost + -> all X client can connect to your X server, you can specify a
host name to restrict access to only some host, and you can use a .xhost
file (man xhost for detail).
2) xauth is more secure but a bit more complex: your X server have a
secret information that X clients who want to connect must give to it.
This information is (by experience but I never read anything about this)
different each time the X server is starting and must be generate by
xauth: xauth generate $DISPLAY . at server start.
After that you must install the authorization information on your
clients with xauth on the clients, most common way is to lauch the
following remote command from your server for each clients:
    xauth extract - $DISPLAY | ssh login@client xauth merge - (this is
an exemple with ssh that is also the most secure way to do it but you
can use rsh or something similar).
On the client the xauthorizations are stored in a file named .Xauthority
(unless some special settings).
See man xauth for details.

Hope this help.
Eric.