Porting X applications using Pseudo-ttys, x server won't start

Hello, I am an experienced unix developer looking to port an X windows
application that uses pseudo-ttys for communication (an xterm-like
application), to xfree.  I've got two problems.  First, after downloading
xfree and updating my cygwin installation (Windows ME), I still can't get
the x server to start.  A window appears then disappears. The log complains
about not being able to find the "fixed" font, though the font files are all
there.  I scanned the archives which suggest the problem may be the file
system mountings, but unfortunately I'm not sure how to even tell how my
file systems are mounted let alone fix it.  Can someone point me at the info
I need for this?

Second, I have the application compiled, though the compilation errors I got
suggested I may well not have the right code for dealing with pseudo ttys.
This application has been compiled for just about every known variant of
unix, all of which do something different to allocate a psuedo tty to an
application and get the permissions and ownership of both ends set up
correctly.  I can't tell from any of the stuff I've read how cygwin handles
this particular dark corner of the unix world.  I've never found any
reasonable documentation on this stuff and in the past have always learned
from code fragments.  Can anyone point me at either a sane, reasonably
complete, description of how to do it or at a code example from a program
that accomplishes it?

Thanks.

Warren Montgomery wamontgomery@att.net  (http://home.att.net/~wamontgomery)