Re: Remote tasks sleeping after 'su'

Harold, Tzafrir, Group,

The key to this problem seems to be in transfering the "magic cookie" from
the old user-id to the new user-id. The link you provided, Harold,
(http://www.xs4all.nl/~zweije/xauth.html) was useful but unfortunately did
not hold the solution. I tried the script in section 7 on the off chance but
I got the same behaviour. Tzafrir's hint did yield some joy though: I
googled for every combination of the letters s, u and x and found a little
script called "sux": http://fgouget.free.fr/sux/sux-readme.shtml.

This seems to work:

'sux root xcalc' will bring xcalc up on my desktop - cool. The only problem
is that this doesn't fork so I've lost that shell until I close xcalc.

'sux root 'xcalc &'' returns an error: "env: xcalc &: No such file or
directory". Pity. I though that would work.

'sux root xcalc &' is a disaster, because when you type the root password it
appears in plain text and then the following error is returned: "bash:
<root_password>: command not found".

If I could get this to fork it would be a bonus, but it doesn't really
matter because I don't need it often (and anyway it might be best not to be
able to leave root's windows open indefinately, having to close them to get
my shell back might be a Good Thing).

The other concern of mine was whether the X stuff is still being sent
through ssh or whether it's now coming down an unsecure connection. It's
beyond my knowledge to know either way!

I hope this helps someone else.

Thanks for all your help,
Robert Haines.