Re: Wierd keymappings and missing Meta

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Kirsty Hollingworth wrote:

> I have installed Cygwin/Xfree86 according to the instructions.As I live
> in the UK I got hold of a Xmodmap for the keymappings.I tried running
>
> %xmodmap Xmodmap.uk
>
> where Xmodmap.uk is the mapping file from a bash prompt.I now get rather
> wierd behaviour.In bash windows (and in xterms running telnet to a linux
> box) I find that shift-3 sends #CTRL-M so that # is entered to the prompt.
> Also my backspace key prints a ~.CTRL-H still backspaces though.
> However in xedit everthing works fine. Backspace backspaces and shift-3
> prints a pound sign.Any suggestions?

What happens if you use:

  setxkbmap uk

instead?

Some other pointers:

  http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Intkeyb/

  And the oh-so-confusing:
  http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/BackspaceDelete/

cygwin is not linux, but both use XFree and both use posix and gnu, so
there are enough points of similarity.

--
Tzafrir Cohen                        /"\
mailto:tzafrir@technion.ac.il        \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign