Re: problem with using xsetroot without window manager

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Ralf Habacker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using the latest Xserver Test Release and have recognized a problem,
> when starting some apps without any window manager.
>
> For starting kde/kde2 I'm using setxroot to choose another background at
> the start of the launching process, which needs some time. At this time no
> window manager is running. With this configuration the color isn't set,
> but the xserver seems to be restarted. (The window seems to be closed for
> a little while and comes back) After startung twm, kwm or kwin color
> setting works. The same effect occurs, when I'm starting for example
> xdpyinfo without any window manager. When the end of the listing is
> reached the server "restarts".

This is the normal behavior. After the last client disconnected, the
Xserver resets. Normally xinit is the first process that connects to the
Xserver, exec the .xinitrc scripts and exits after the last program from
xinitrc (normally the windowmanger) has ended.

You can switch the Xserver to not resetting by adding the switch -noreset
to the XWin commandline. This is not recommend if you use the Xserver for
terminals, since all settings that are made in a session are not reset until
the next session starts.

bye
	ago
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723
 phone: +49 3725 349 80 80	mobile: +49 172 7854017