Re: AW: Right mouse button does not work

> > > This is a typical result of a single right-click-and-release:
> > >
> > > ButtonPress event, serial 18, synthetic NO, window 0x800001,
> > >     root 0x2e, subw 0x0, time 37050055, (77,58), root:(672,315),
> > >     state 0x10, button 3, same_screen YES
> > >
> > > ButtonRelease event, serial 18, synthetic NO, window 0x800001,
> > >     root 0x2e, subw 0x0, time 37050325, (77,58), root:(672,315),
> > >     state 0x410, button 3, same_screen YES
> > >
> > > Looks good (as far as I understand the output).
> >
> > Well, the right mouse button is functioning exactly as
> > expected.  It is
> > generating the correct events.  There must be something wrong with the
> > program that is supposed to receive those events.  Perhaps it
> > is missing an
> > essential extension or library... I have no specific ideas.
>

> What is "the program that is supposed to receive those events"?
>
> The window manager? Or the application? Sorry if this question sounds silly
> but I do not really know how the components of the X window system work
> together.

I believe Harold meant the programs on the remote system.

> If you think the application is the one that behaves incorrect, I doubt that
> you are right.

I doubt so too.  I suspect some protocol bugs in the Sun X libraries.
If you use the same version of the X server compiled on an i386-linux
machine, you will probably have the same problem.  If you build the X
libraries on the Sun box and rebuild ddd to use the new headers and
libs instead of the ones that came with the system, I think there is a
good chance the problem will go away.  In my experience, the
standard X libs on Sun machines have these kinds of problems.

Just a thought.

> 1) The X server is misconfigured in some way and I make the same mistake in
> every X server installation on the Windows boxes.

I'm assuming you followed the installation instructions carefully, and
the problem affects only those applications run on the Sun machine.

> 2) All X applications I am using are faulty.

No.  But if the libraries they use are faulty, it could amount to the
same thing.

> 3) The sun box (in fact, two sun boxes) behaves incorrect.

My best guess.

> 4) There is a bug in xfree.

Always a chance.

-John