Re: Linux-Mandrake 8.1 and XDMCP

[no XDM login screen on a Linux box]
>What gives?

Mandrake uses KDE's kdm by default, right? Then the file is named (as it is with xdm[1]) 'Xaccess'. RedHat has it in '/etc/X11/xdm', since Mandrake was at one time a RedHat derivative, you could look there first.

Open the file and add the hosts you'd like to give access (the file has some straightforward comments on that topic) and restart xdm/kdm. The xdm manpage has a more elaborate description of it, too.

>Has anyone else had similar problems with 8.1?

No, since I don't use it. But personally, I don't consider it a good idea to give anyone in the world a X login-screen in a default installation. Frankly, I did neither know nor believe that anyone would ship a distribution with that behaviour.

 - Tim

[1] kdm is based on xdm code, but gdm or wdm aren't

http://clubs.lycos.com/live/events/september11.asp