Re: Bad performance a common problem?

First off, Windows running on the same hardware as a Linux system will always
underpreform Linux.  To add to that, Cygwin adds a sort of emulation layer,
which will "route" unix-like calls to windows calls.  By doing that, each call
the X server has to do is significantly slower than in Linux.

Added, in my experience, the Win 9x kernel handles network messages less
efficiently than the Linux kernel.  If you are running Win 9x, you might try
using nice.exe .  You can bundle that with your minimal install... It will
allow you to change the priority of XWin.exe, thus _possibly_ improving
performance.

One thing I have noticed is that the Cygwin/Xfree server works significantly
better in Win 2K.  I attribute that to the better process model and network
handling in the kernel.  Using nice.exe in this environment will also increase
performance, but be careful... If you "nice" 2 process hogs in 2K, I have seen
them compete, and significantly SLOW down responsiveness.

Good luck,
Brian