Cannot run XWin.exe from a Windows networked-drive

I would have investigated XWin.exe myself but the primary site and none of the mirrors have the source code visible to
anonymous FTP as of this writing.

I installed Cygwin, Cygwin/Free86, and lesstif on a WIndows 2000 file server.  Runing Motif apps there works just fine
and we are quite pleased with this.

Our goal is to use this file server's contents from a few Windows client workstations so that we do not have to install
0.5GB of stuff on each workstation and rollout changes to each when an update occurs.  Also, our Unix-on-Windows
apps are stored in Cygwin's /usr/src tree.  All of the workstations will see Cygwin on drive K (networked).

When I connected on workstation #1, I did the following:

(a) Copied cygwin.bat to cygwin_K.bat where the Windows commands are preceded by a "K:" command.  I created a
small one-time shell script which mounts all of the necessary stuff so that this workstation has its registry updated so that
the next invocation of cygwin_K.bat will be just as if the user was running at the file server.  So far, so good.

(b) When I try to run STARTXWIN.BAT from workstation #1, I get:

startxwin.bat - Starting on Windows NT/2000
ddxProcessArgument ()
ddxProcessArgument () - screen - argc: 5 i: 1
winDetectSupportedEngines () - Windows NT/2000
winDetectSupportedEngines () - DirectDraw installed
winDetectSupportedEngines () - Allowing PrimaryDD
winDetectSupportedEngines () - Returning, supported engines 0000001b
winSetEngine () - Using Shadow DirectDraw
winAdjustVideoModeShadowDD () - Using Windows display depth of 16 bits per pixel
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed () - WindowClient w 1024 h 768 r 1024 l 0 b 768 t 0
winInitVisualsShadowDD () - Masks 0000f800 000007e0 0000001f BPRGB 6 d 16
winCreateDefColormap () - Deferring to fbCreateDefColormap ()
AUDIT: Thu Sep 27 17:17:45 2001: 277 XWin: client 1 rejected from IP 127.0.0.1 port 2105
Xlib: connection to "127.0.0.1:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
Error: Can't open display: 127.0.0.1:0.0

Invoking `xhost +` does no good as it cannot open the display.  I used that on a the file server machine but it only
seems to be good on the file server machine.

Same problem when trying this on workstation #2, #3 , ......  When one istalls the whole ball of wax on any of these
machines' local drive, then the above anomalies do not happen.  But, as explained above, we want to run from a file
server.

I have spent a lot of time looking all over the disk for the authorisation data under the Cygwin treee; I admit that I am
stumped.  How is the X authorisation data stored?  In the registry somewhere?  It doesn't seem to be in the normal place
for Unix or Linux.  The Cygnus `man` pages do not agree with what is observed.   ???

Please assist.  I am willing to do leg-work if I had access to source.

The file server is running Windows 2000 SP2 up-to-date and the client workstations are running Windows NT 4 SP 6b
up-to-date.  The hardware are miscellaneous.

Thank you in advance .. Richard   voice: 718 248-4639