From: Peter Hawkins [mailto:peter@globalvision.com.au]
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2001 2:52 AM
To: ssiddiqi@inspirepharm.com
Subject: cygwin and X11/gnome question

Suhaib,

I have read all the documentation I can find but I'm still stuck

I'm very new to cygwin but I installed XFree, afterstep and followed the
instructions at http://my.dreamwiz.com/jbdoll/, to install libiconv, glib,
gtk+, imlib and xfce. I believe all these run fine.

I have seen that there is interest in gnome and thought I'd see how far I
can get with it.

I downloaded a very recent libtool and installed it - I read somewhere that
you need to do that for it  to work with dlls.

I then tried building ORBit without luck - the build runs but crashes out
when it attempts to compile the tests. My questions are:

What if any are the limitations of cygwin that make it hard to get gnome to
run?
should ORBit be able to compile and if so is there any information on how to
do it or a binary I can get?
has anyone got gnome to fly yet and is that being worked on?

Thanks,
Peter