Re: More questions about xfree

A small copy'n'paste of the conclusion I think..

/----------------------------
| I generally like what startx does better than startxwin.sh, except that the
\----------------------------
Then edit startxwin.sh :-)

/ "ted byers" <ted.byers@sympatico.ca> wrote:
| Please help me understand the differences between shartxwin.sh and startx.

startx is the normal method to fire up xfree on a unix-machine where
much of the environment is set before, it takes over the screen and so
on.

startxwin.sh sets environment does some nice stuff for your cygwin
environment, like fires up xterms and so on.

| I also see an item in X11r6/bin called X which is clearly a link to
| something, but I have not been able to figure out what it is linked to.
| Would I break anything if I created an alias which ran startx or
| startxwin.sh when 'x' is used as a command?

Probably not ;-) Depends on what you want, if you only need the
x-server nothing else you could probably just run Xwin.exe with a
bunch of params to get the x-server up and running..

| Both 'X' and startx produce a message "_XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of
| /tmp/.X11-unix should be set to root"  What does this mean, and why do they
| produce it when startxwin.sh does not?  But 'X' seems to be rather useless

You don't need to worry about this, just a notification that it
happens, the reason it doesn't show up

| because it does not create any windows in which I can enter commands.

Because X just fires up the x-server executable, startx fires up the
x-server executable, and also either a file locally at your place, or
a default file, that specifies which clients (xterm and so on) to fire
up.

| startx is unique inthat it gives a series of "cat: /home/Bted/.Xauthority:
| No such file or directory" messages.  What is this, what does it mean, and
| what, if anything should I do about it?

Nothing you need to worry about, what .Xauthority is for is next level
of x'ing.. adding some extra security.

[...]

| Do all these error messages mean that something in my installation of xfree
| is broken, or is it the case that 'X' and startx do a couple things that are
| not appropriate on NT+cygwin?

No.

| I generally like what startx does better than startxwin.sh, except that the

Then edit startxwin.sh :-)

        /Andy

p.s. hope I get most of the points right here, I am not 100 into cygwin/xfree..

--
 The eye of the beholder rests on the beauty!