RE: startx fails with: could not open default font 'fixed'

David,

> Free time.  Yeah, whatever.  I couldn't even justify time for it at work,
> but I might be able to start investigating it at home.

I don't have free time either.  I make time for the project occasionally.

> Could I get some background, if any is known, about what exactly is going
> wrong, and with what tool?  If I were to guess, it's whatever builds the
> "fonts.dir" and "fonts.alias" files (the "mkfontdir" app?), but I'm not
> certain.  If the "bug" is with something that READS those instead
> of writes
> them, then changing the mount back to text mode after the install
> might not
> work.

I don't personally have any background information.  I can tell you that we
fixed a similar problem by linking automode.o to, I think, makedepend.exe by
setting xc/config/cf/cygwin.cf/BootstrapCFlags = -L/lib/automode.o

The link command for mkfontdir.exe could be modified to link /lib/automode.o
when __CYGWIN__ is defined.  I could give you, or whomever takes up this
task, more information; but, to do so would be require me to fix the
problem, and I tend to do that way too often.  So, that's all you get :)