Freetype 1.3.1 - make install

Well the cywin lists scare me, but I'm going to write this anyway. I'll explain my problem then explain what I've done so far to try
and fix it.

As the subject says I'm having problems ~installing~ freetype. I can configure and compile everything just fine. When I run shell>
make install it just says "make: 'install' is up to date."

I'm not a developer, so I don't know what I'm looking at in the make files to see what's happening. The reason I am posting here is
because I cannot find anything on the freetype.org mailing lists about this. (Kind of hard since I can't search their posts.) So I'm
<gulp> assuming </gulp> it might be something to do with cygwin.

I have searched through the cygin and cygwin-xfree mailing lists and got some hits for freetype, but I'm not making sense of
anything it tells me. Only thing I could see is there was a freetype.dll at one time and now it's not supported [?] or was taken out
[?] All this effort is my quest to get enlightenment to work and the mailing list has gotten me over a few hills so far. ie: shm
cygipc stuff. That was fun! For a newbie it only took me compiling X 3 times before realizing I didn't run the daemon. :(

I am ~definitely~ a cygwin newbie, but have many years of *nix under my belt. So please go easy on me. :)

Thanks for any help!
If this post belongs somewhere else please let me know.

ps; I'm also trying to figure out xdm and getting login prompts for other servers. I've never used it before because I mostly just
use *nix as a server [cmd line]. I have 2 linux and 1 bsd server that I'd love to admin via the cygwin/xfree86. Any referrals to
good howto or tutorial sites would be greatly appreciated.