problems with vmware - more details

When starting vmware I get this message:
     Unable to query the valim mode lines from your
     Xserver, will not try to change host resolution when
     entering fullscreen mode

and at the same time an error is logged:
     Xlib: extension "XFree86-VidModeExtension" missing on display
"...".

I can live with this though.

Once win98 is running I find that the keyboard mapping is wrong.

I have a few dead keys:
     top row, leftmost: should be ' ~
     top row, rightmost: should be = +
     third row, righmost: should be ' "
     fourth row, rightmost (right of shift): should be \ |

I also have different mappings for the second row rightmost two keys
(should be [] and {}).

Arrow keys and home/end etc. do not work.

Other keys seem to work OK. And also, do note that in normal linux
(say inside xterm) the keys do work well, only inside the vmware
machine do I see this problem.

We use Xmanager at the office and it does not exhibit these problems.

X server
     Xwin: tested a few recent, up to test45

X client
     distro:        RedHat 6.2