Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Server Test 44

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 10:47:09AM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 09:07:07AM +0200, Alexander Gottwald wrote:
> > On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, Harold Hunt wrote:
> >

> > > 1) Bump the client connection limit from 32 to 1024 by passing the
> > > square of getdtablesize () to setdtablesize ().  (Harold Hunt)
>
> Interesting enough this isn't even necessary. If the default size
> of the dtable isn't enough, it's automatically reallocated if a
> process requires more open file descriptors.

It may well automatically reallocate if more open file descriptors are
needed, but there is a static connection table that's alloced from obtaining
this size via _SC_OPEN_MAX.

> Maybe it's not ok in Cygwin that getdtablesize() and sysconf(_SC_OPEN_MAX)
> return the current size of the dtable. Perhaps they should return NOFILE
> or OPEN_MAX as it's already noted in a comment in the sysconf() source.

That would be better bet. There is some fudgery that goes on in osdep.h that
basically does this too, but I'd rather the OS routines be fixed if possible
to remove the hacks.

Alan.