RE: XDMCP

On 07 Aug 2001 22:59:43 -0400, Harold Hunt wrote:
> Ryan,
>
> > Thank you for your help, but I don't think the hub/cable is the problem.
>
> > Here is one thing I just noticed: I was watching the hub as I was
> > trying to
> > XDMCP with Cygwin/XFree86 and the hub is showing constant collisions. Any
> > idea what could cause this? This doesn't happen with Linux to Linux.

I'm assuming that this means you have a dual-boot machine?

> Did I say to change the cable?  Yeah, I said to change the cable.  Now do it
> and let me know what happens.

Another possibility, is that the linux driver is utilising the network
efficiently, and the windows driver isn't.

Problems with auto-detection of the network media often show like this,
and the base problem can be interframe gaps, duplexing, or other link
specific parameters.

If changing the cable doesn't help things, _manually_ set the network
card parameters in windows to what the linux install is using, or if
that is also autodetect, to the lowest common factor of the hub and the
network card. i.e. if it's a 100Mb Hub, set the card to 100Mb half
duplex.

Rob