xterm does not exit

I am running cygwin X clients on a Win2k machine, using XWin32 4.11 as the
X-server. I am using the latest cygwin build (1.3.2 DLL version). When I launch
xterms, two things don't happen as expected:

1. When xterm spawns tcsh (which is my login shell), it does not set the TERM
   variable to "xterm"(TERM remains set to cygwin).
2. Whenever I try to exit from the xterm (either by typing "exit", or killing
   the window using the mouse, or using Alt+F4), the window refuses to
   disappear, even though the tcsh process seems to have exited. The only way is
   to either "kill" the xterm process or reset my X server.

Any ideas? Thanks,

-Sriram